Lighthouse Favorites - Longtail and Grassy Island
Green Bay Yachting Club, Inc.
Long Tail Point shown below is the starting point for the first Lighthouses in the Lower Green Bay.
Remnants of the First Lighthouse, Built: 1847-1848 & first lit 1848, Service: 1849 - 1859, attemped removal in 1870 ....
The Second Lighthouse, also on Long Tail, was a 2 1/2 story residence (near to & east of the1st light tower).
In 1899 a 3rd Lighthouse with fog bell was placed on a crib at the end of Long Tail Point. The fog bell was
A need for better navigational aid into the lower Fox River led to the Grassy Island Range Lights.
The Grassy Island Range Lights were relocated to GBYC in 1967 for Historical Preservation.
- Lights relocated in 1967 as shown in this 1973 GBYC Harbor photo -
In 1998 and 1999 the Lights were finally relocated to a permanent location on a reinforced breakwall.
In 1999 - The Grassy Island Lighthouses were accepted into the Brown County WI Historic Register.
A dedication ceremony was held November 5, 2005 recognizing David Nelson and Merlin Baenen for
- RESTORED - RESTORED - RESTORED - RESTORED - RESTORED - RESTORED - RESTORED - RESTORED -
Start of restoration on (shorter) North Light.
View from Clubhouse
Click any chart for an enlarged view.